Friday, April 17, 2009

This is what happens when I try to be smart

I'm working on the skirt. You do 50 rows of garter stitch, and the next row you increase evenly so that you end up with 252 stitches. The first row of the chart pattern required 33 stitches; 252 does not divide evenly by 33. Sooooooo, I figured out how many stitches I needed to be divisible by 33 and be bigger than 252; 264 it was. So I tinked back enough stitches to fit 14 extras in (knitting in the front and back, in addition to the M1 that was already there). I was so proud of myself for finding an error! I didn't want to knit the chart and find out I was short stitches.

Fast forward to me knitting at the end of the first row of the chart. Turns out I have 14 stitches too many. I suck, and I'm tinking the entire first row (252 stitches mind you) as well as the few stitches of the increase row where I extra increased. Go me. Lesson learned: next time, try the directions before you try to fix it. It might just be right.

No comments: