Monday, February 20, 2012

Blanket Sunday-The Monday Edition

I haven't updated in a while, but that's because the blanket has sort of been neglected. I am really behind, but I've been busy, and I'm only going to get busier. I think I haven't really wanted to work on the blanket lately because I am on a strict yarn budget. Every other month most of the budget is taken up by the yarn club I'm in, so I only bought 3 minis this month. The lack of new colors to add makes me sad. That's my excuse for the past. My future excuse is this-I've started a part-time job in addition to my regular job. DH and I made a goal to get most if not all of our debt paid off this year, and so I took an extra job to help speed that along. We want to buy a house in 2014 if possible, so the debt needs to go away and we need to save for a down payment. I started my job on Saturday, and tonight is my only night off this week. Hopefully I can get a square or 2 done, but I certainly won't make my 2 squares a day minimum. I don't have any idea what I work Saturday, but I'm sure it'll be a full day.

But back to the blanket. Here she is, in all of her multi-colored glory:

I like the way it's turning out, although the overall color is a little too bright for my tastes. I should have been adding more black. Oh well. Maybe if I do a dark i-cord border, it'll make up for it.
Blanket Summary:
# of squares to go: 604 (116 done, but 56 squares behind schedule)
% complete: 16.1%

Here are the minis I got this month:

I'm going to be a stingy little trollop and not tell you where I got them so I can buy more of the rainbow color. Trollop has been reintroduced to my vocabulary thanks to a season 2 episode of Gilmore Girls. Gnome let me borrow all 7 or 8 seasons of the show. Good grief I'm easily distracted today.

Luckily, DH doesn't read my blog, so I can show you the socks that I'm knitting for our "first" anniversary. If you know me, you won't be surprised to know that I'm easily amused. We got married on 2-29-08, so this is technically our first anniversary. We're planning a big 10 year bash in 2048. But back to the socks.

DH, who hasn't read an entire book since the mid-90s, read all 7 Harry Potter books in less than a month. That thrills me to no end! So I picked Snape's Stockings as the pattern for his anniversary socks. I'm sort of on a time crunch, and DH likes ankle socks anyway, so I'm going straight from the ribbing to the heel flaps. I hope I can get them finished in a week. I really should have picked a toe-up pattern so I could do the leg length based on how much time I have left to knit, but I couldn't find any HP toe-up patterns that I liked. The yarn is Tempted Good Grrl in Mocha. I've had that skein for at least 2 years, and procrastinated on making DH more socks. The last (and only) pair he's gotten from me was the Diamond Gansey socks in 2009.

Finally, I frogged the geodesic cardigan that I started almost 2 years ago. I wasn't ever going to finish it anyway. I'll find something else to do with the yarn (Tempted Lacy Grrl). Maybe I'll make another clapotis.


Dragon said...

Your blanket is looking really good!
Kudos to your DH for reading books! I have to read to mine lol.

Those socks look awesome :D I hope you post pictures when you finish.

thefatsquirrel said...

I'm so very sad to read about the severe decrease in your knitting time/money budget! I have been there and I just had total weepy flashbacks to my far too frequent puppy-face-smooshed-against-the-yarn-store-window times. All watery eyes aside, congratulations for being so strong! Paying down debt is a most noble goal and will make those post-debt yarn splurges all the sweeter!

biomaj5 said...

Someone besides Dragon does read my blog! Woot! ;)

I actually told DH how excited I was about my yarn budget after we're debt free. My yarn stash will grow exponentially! I'm also going to buy a spinning wheel (a ladybug) :D