Saturday, February 5, 2011

Giant Mansocks of Doom

A friend from church asked me to make him some nice wool socks that he could wear under waders while camping in the winter. Being the nice pushover that I am, I agreed. I've almost given up hope that I'll ever learn to say no. Anywhoo, I wanted the socks to be nice and thick, so I bought some Knitpicks Swish DK in Cobblestone Heather. I had planned to just use that yarn, but I came across the pattern Men's Socks For Giving Away. The pattern has a nice manly set of three stripes at the top in a different color, as well as the heel and toe in the same color. I happened to have some yarn left over from my Blackberry Cabled Cardigan, and it matched the grey well.

I started the socks on Jan 9, but I've gotten sucked into other projects that I'd rather knit on instead. I knit 3/4 of the second sock today, and I'm finally finished!


These socks are freaking huge. Ginormous. My friend Jason wears a size 11. I had DH try the first sock on a few times because I thought it was surely way too big. I had Jason try on the first sock last Saturday and it fit perfectly. Just to give you an idea of the size difference between his socks and my feet, I took a comparison shot:


Ginormous. This makes #4 of my 22 in 2011 goal.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Those look great and very cozy and comfy!

Dragon said...

You're right, those are huge! They look great, though :)