Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Knitcroblo day 2: Inspirational pattern

Now that we got the less-than-joyous reason I started knitting out of the way, on to a happier subject.
Today's topic is:

Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!

The inspirational pattern that I have in the forefront of my mind right now is Stilwell by Jared Flood.



I have 2 reasons that it is inspirational:
  1. Colorwork. Beyond making cute little mini stocking ornaments for Christmas presents last year, I have not done any kind of colorwork. It's more intimidating that this is something that will be worn in public, so if I screw it up, it's going to be visible.
  2. Fit. I currently have a batting average of 0 when it comes to fitting sweaters correctly. My central park hoodie is still a vest because I'm too lazy to seam on the (finished) sleeves. My blackberry cabled cardigan that I made for the Ravelympics looks nice, but it isn't quite as formfitting as I wanted it to be.
I already have the yarn purchased (Jo Sharp Silkroad DK tweed), but I haven't bought the pattern yet. I was originally waiting for it to be available for sale individually, but now I just have too many other things I want to knit that don't necessarily require that I learn something new. I'm not scared of the pattern-I seem to pick up knitting techniques quickly. I'm in a lazy knitting mood these days, so it'll have to wait.

5 comments:

hello said...

I love this sweater. A real challenge.

AC said...

I am with you on the sweater fit thing...I am not very lucky with the patterns I've chosen (or I just suck--one or the other). That is an adorable sweater you've chosen though!

Anonymous said...

Don't wait too long, its a fab pattern.

Snowcatcher said...

How many times have any of us bought the yarn or fabric for something and then allowed it to sit way too long?!?

I echo your sentiments on why you sought distraction when you picked up knitting and commend you for being able to talk about it.

~RaenWa~ said...

Color work is on my list of things to learn. Jared Flood has some of the best knitted items around. I tend to avoid things that use the bad s word seaming lol